Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Surviving the Hard Stuff

Step Three (step one and two are written earlier)


Learn how to catch the wave as it breaks/Face the hard stuff head on!

This is a picture of how I imagine a perfect day at the beach. Leisurely swims, holding hands and just basking in the sun.












But , of course just as in life, this isn't always reality! Often times it will look like this and whoa . . . you find yourself having to go out in the water anyway (for some reason). If this is the case, there is one thing to keep in mind:



Never slow down for an incoming wave; always charge straight into it.

I will never forget the feeling of exhilaration at figuring out how to do this. Suddenly the fear that had haunted me in previous attempts of venturing out into the bigger surf was reduced exponentially! I finally had it! The knowledge and skill I needed to navigate safely to the other side, even though the wave was HUGE! I finally knew that in larger surf I should dive under the waves and not try to swim through it, or (God forbid) try to jump over the treachery. If the surf was too big, I could dive straight through, but when the wave was really big, I must dive to the bottom and grab some sand and then bring my feet to my hands and push up
at 45 degrees to the back of the wave above me. Before I knew it, I would be safely BEHIND the big wave!

When we see the hard stuff coming at us in life, whether at home or at work, we must try to face it head on and charge straight into it. Learn the exhilaration of facing the situation by diving into it with God’s plan for conquering the task at hand. Even if it seems overwhelming and far too big to handle, we can dive into it, under it, and then up and through it, just like the wave. The key--practice, practice, practice -- and a whole lot of bravery!

Here are a few things the Bible has to say to us about it:


"I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you have done well with me to share in my affliction." (Philippians 4:12-13)


"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm." (Ephesians 6:10-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment