Monday, November 5, 2012

How To Feel Better Today

   
     I'm going to talk about feeling better at home. I'm home most of the time these days for one reason or another, so I got to thinking: How can I 'feel' better while I'm at home. Don't get me wrong. I'm not writing this for you. I'm writing this for me! I want to feel better at home. I love my home. I don't always want to take a walk in the woods or a drive to the beach to feel better. I don't even necessarily want to be outside. I just want to feel better while I'm at home.
     For me, and as anyone can attest to who knows me, I always feel better at home if my bed is made. It's remarkable how a few minor little tweaks and adjustments to my daily routine, like making my bed, can become the agent to a meaningful change within my day. But its true, and always has been true. If my bed's undone -- I'm undone.
     My home is an extension of who I am. What I do within the walls of my dwelling place shapes my mood, affects my productivity, and influences my entire outlook on life.
Karen Miller, wife, mother, Zen priest, and author of "Hand Wash Cold" and Momma Zen" explains: "The state of your bed is the state of your head." She is definitely on to something. When I walk out of my bedroom with my bed in a massive bundle of covers, I start the day on the wrong foot - already feeling defeated by my bed! Even my dog knows something is wrong if I don't throw all of the pillows on the floor and start making the bed before I walk out of the bedroom. He looks and me with that look. "Are we getting back in?" We are both loath to get the day started. It's pitiful!
     On the other hand, when Sherman (my dog) and I step back and have a look at our freshly made bed, I have to admit that we are happy. I think about how nice it will be to pull back the covers that evening after a long day as all three of us (husband, dog and me) go through our evening routine. And as I walk out of the bedroom and invariably look back at the pretty made-up bed, I say to my room, "So long you cozy little cave of tranquility. I've created you with my own hands and you are as you once were. Until we meet again." Somehow I'm ready to tackle the day. Happier!

 Sogni d'oro (sweet dreams),

Mimi






http://www.ehow.com/video_4756201_make-bed.html

http://youtu.be/0KQHXc4cBvQ

No comments:

Post a Comment