Monday, December 15, 2008

A Benicia Pelican


The phone rings on the boat and to my surprise it's Papa! (I thought he had left 5 minutes earlier for the store to purchase some lunch) "Hey, look out the window," he says! "There's a pelican on the dock just a few feet away from the boat. He dove and caught a fish for his breakfast and he's just finishing the last gobbles." So I take a look as we're talking and there he is, in all his majesty - bigger than I always imagine! We both watch him for another minute or so - me from the boat, Papa from the rental car - and then "our pelican" takes off to circle the marina for more fish.





That got us to thinking, "How big are pelicans anyway?" So, I looked it up. Brown pelicans are 4 to 5 feet in length and have a wing span of 6 to 8 feet! Wow! No wonder he looks so big! And what's even more amazing is that they weigh anywhere between 6 to 12 pounds! Now that is a big bird!


Pelicans are majestic and powerful, but they seem to have a bit of a sense of humor too!


This pelican stetches his beak and the one below shares his food! What a crack-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment